I apply these tips every spring and they account for many fish!
Springtime is one of the best times to catch a big carp. They are also feeding hard having just come out of their winter slumbers. It must be my favourite time to target my quarry and so please see below some basic, but very important tips to apply this spring.
- Use your eyes – I see too many people constantly looking at their phones, social media, texting etc. If your head is down, tapping away on the buttons, you won’t see fish show. Locating the carp’s whereabouts is one of the most important factors in consistently catching them in Spring so keep your eyes peeled at all times!
- Keep mobile – The fish might start showing in one area and move quickly so it’s important to travel light and be prepared to move. Get rid of any non-essential gear and lighten that load.
- Start looking in different spots – As the first warm rays of sunshine appear, the carp will begin to move. This will see them seeking the shallower waters at times, marginal slopes and the like. Thus, baits in the edge can really work well!
- Single hook bait fishing – The carp may not be feeding particularly hard and so a bright, high attract single could nick you a bite when all else is failing.
- Zig rigging – A tactic that I absolutely love in spring. Again, once the first rays of sun warm their backs they will bob up like corks. A zig can produce the goods when nothing else will.
What you will need this spring!
Jimmy began his angling on the river Ouse with his father fishing for roach. His passion grew quickly and soon developed a love for big-fish across the globe!
James | 10th March 2020